Astronomy: The Big Picture
(or: "Really, you're an astronomer? What
sign are you? I'm a Virgo!")
Goals of this astronomy "crash course":
- How does it work?
- Where did it come from?
- Describe the process by which we get from pretty pictures to real
- Describe (very roughly!) the current state of the art of our
- Introduce some of the current outstanding questions which we
would like to answer with a new telescope.
- Any ELT design project must be science
driven. Does a given piece of hardware offer the best return on
investment, in terms of science
returned per dollar spent?
- Keck = $100M, HST/Chandra = $2+B each, ALMA = $600M, more
<back | next