Private Educational Group Shows
The UCLA Planetarium offers private planetarium shows free of charge to school and educational groups.
Important things to know when requesting a private show:
- Max seating capacity is 49 people per show. We can offer multiple shows for large groups. Recommended group sizes are 30–35 per show, or smaller for visitors with special needs.
- Typical shows are about 1 hour in length. This includes a special topic presentation and night-sky show. We also offer 30-minute shows that consist only of the night-sky show.
- Generally, we can be flexible regarding the scheduling, length, and content of shows but we may be limited by the availability of our volunteer presenters.
- Due to availability of our volunteers, we can only schedule private shows before 5 pm.
- Minimum Age Requirement: 1st grade age and older
- Minimum Group Size Requirement: 15 people for private shows
- If you have a smaller group, please consider attending a public show. Plan to arrive early to the public show in order to ensure seating for all members of your group.
To arrange for a private show, please email the following information to planet [at] astro.ucla.edu at least 4 weeks in advance of your preferred date:
- Name and/or affiliation of your group
- Number and grade/age range of child attendees
- Number of adult attendees and/or chaperones
- Preferred dates and times (note that we prefer to start shows on the quarter hour (e.g. 10:15 am) to avoid foot traffic of UCLA students switching classes)
- Contact information (email and phone) for organizer and person leading the visit
- Title of preferred special topic presentation (choose from this list) or indicate if you would prefer only a night-sky show (both are presented in the planetarium).