Wednesday Evening Public Shows
Public planetarium shows are free and suitable for all ages, and are given by current astronomy graduate students. Content varies with presenters, but commonly includes discussion about the current night sky, constellations, astronomical phenomena, and more!
Public shows are free. No tickets or reservations required.
Winter 2019 Show Schedule
|January 2||—||No show|
|January 9||7:00 PM||General Relativity|
|January 16||7:00 PM||New Horizons’ Journey to Pluto and Beyond|
|January 23||7:00 PM||Black Holes|
|January 30||7:00 PM||Neutron Stars and Pulsars|
|February 6||7:00 PM||Life in the Universe|
|February 13||7:00 PM||New Horizons’ Journey to Pluto and Beyond|
|February 20||7:00 PM||Active Galactic Nuclei|
|February 27||7:00 PM||New Horizons’ Journey to Pluto and Beyond|
|March 6||7:00 PM||Realm of Galaxies|
|March 13||8:00 PM||Misconceptions in Astronomy|
|March 20||—||No show|
Public shows are hosted every Wednesday night when UCLA is in session, including summer sessions. See the UCLA academic calendar for details about the UCLA schedule.
- Public planetarium shows start at 8 pm during Daylight Savings Time (7 pm otherwise) on Wednesday evenings (except holidays and final exam weeks)
- Planetarium shows typically last about 60 minutes, with a special topic show and star show lasting about 30 minutes each
- The planetarium is located on the 8th floor of the UCLA Mathematical Sciences Building (Directions)
No late arrivals! We cannot admit guests after show has started. Please arrive on time.
On clear nights, visitors are invited to look through one of the department telescopes after the planetarium show. We view a variety of celestial objects, including planets, nebulae, and star clusters (depending on what objects are currently visible in the night sky).
- Telescope viewing follows planetarium show
- Located on the 9th floor roof of the UCLA Mathematical Sciences Building
- Telescope viewings are offered weather and schedule permitting
- Telescope viewings are not offered during the summer